Saturday, August 22, 2015

A different kind of post

I started this several times, using a commercial pattern, then making mistakes, then deciding it didn't work with variegated yarn. In the end I came up with 'my first knitting pattern'! I haven't finished it yet - still only done about 30cm!


Light and lacy autumn scarf

Very simple to make even for a beginner; doesn’t need much concentration!
 

4mm straight knitting needles, 100g of lace weight, sock weight or 4 ply should be enough for a scarf.

Cast on: cast on a multiple of 5 plus 4 – I used 44 for a scarf width.

[Ten rows garter stitch.

Pattern row 1: sl1, (k2, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo) x however many your multiple of 5 was, so for me this was 8, then k3

Pattern row 2: sl1, k to end

Pattern 1

Pattern 2

Pattern 1

Pattern 2] repeat these 16 rows until scarf is almost desired length, then do 10 more rows garter stitch and cast off.

Block.

Variations could be more or less garter stitch, more or less repeats of pattern rows, change size to make a headband, belt etc.

Vary the look by using plain or variegated yarn. You could embellish with a crochet edging or fringe at ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment